BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 13, 2014

One day at a time..

The rest of the night went great with no accidents in his kennel.  This morning was a different story.  I could attribute it to Hank being a pain today, but I realize Hank is being Hank and I won't change his "normal" behaviors to accommodate Basil.

My husband woke me up around 5:45 this morning to let me know he couldn't get Basil back into the house after taking them all out to the bathroom.  I went out to find him pacing up and down a line of the fence.  It took me a bit to get him in, and some chasing.  Chasing isn't good for him, or me either.  He is now leashed at all times so no chasing has to take place. Especially in the back yard. This seems to also be calming for him in some way.
Hanks loud voice startles him and causes him to exhibit anxiety.  Hank doesn't quite get the whole "he doesn't want to play" bit yet.  He barks for Basil to play, or barks outside just to hear his own voice.  This causes Basil to start pacing.  He's been pacing in front of the counters on and off all day.  I've began telling him to "stop" and it helps for a bit.  There are times when I go over, sit on the floor and tell him to stop.  I then reach for the leash and he'll come to me (without pulling on leash to get away).

They'd been up for awhile and had their breakfast at 9:00.  Basil was ok at first and started the pacing again.  I thought it was time for everyone to have a break at 10:30.  I put the boys in their kennels, turned the lights off and went upstairs for an hour or so.  He was much calmer when I came down.

I think all the dogs are picking up on his stress due to Hank today.  He went to hop on the couch with Peanut and she snapped at him to let him know she didn't want him up with her.  I've been reassuring our dogs today too.  I don't want them thinking I'm paying too much attention to Basil and ignoring them.  I'm a little tense today too and think they're picking up on it.  I don't how to stop the pacing and feel like I'm not doing well at getting him adjusted.  I keep trying to remind myself "patience".  He's doing great with household sounds (except Hank) and is following me or coming up to me more often.

I'm not babying him to much or to often.  I let him come to me and he's beginning to approach me on his own.  When he does, and lets me rub him for a while I praise him profusely!!   He seems a little restless right now and able to get comfortable.  The other dogs are on the brown couch and he's not sure about getting up there with them.
He got on the tan could for a bit, then jumped off.  After lunch I may try sitting over on that couch to read and see what happens.  What I'm afraid is going to happen is all the other dogs are going to jump over to that one to sit with me.
I want to see if the situation changes tonight when my husband takes Hank upstairs with him for the evening.  First day observation is he needs to be in a home with low key dogs.  At this time loud barks make him anxious and he doesn't seem to like being around bigger, energetic dogs.

0 comments: